About Early Treatment
So, when is the best time to take your child to the orthodontist? According to the American Association of Orthodontists, the first orthodontic evaluation should occur by age 7. Treatment may not be necessary but a checkup will indicate the optimal time to begin. By age 7 the first adult molars erupt. When orthodontist take advantage of growth and early intervention, they can prevent serious bite problems later. This crucial examination is free of cost, and will set your child on the right path to a healthy, beautiful smile.
Left untreated, crooked teeth and bad bites can lead to a variety of issues:
- Crowding: bad oral hygiene, tooth decay, and gum disease
- Protruding teeth: accidental chipping
- Open bites: speech difficulties and tongue-thrust habits.
- Crossbites: uneven tooth wear and asymmetric growth
Early treatment can:
- Reduce treatment time in braces
- Reduce need for tooth extractions
- Reduce accidental trauma to protruding teeth
- Create space for new teeth
- Create facial symmetry by guiding jaw growth
After a short Phase 1 treatment, we remove the appliances, allow the teeth to grow naturally and